[Duplicity-talk] The workings of duplicity

From: Haim Dimer
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] The workings of duplicity
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:05:19 -0400

Hi there,

I have a question about the workings of duplicity.

As I understand it, the data is sent by chunks through the facility that librsync provides, only sending the chunks that have changed from one backup to the next. To do so, I imagine that librsync compares the 2 files, the original and the most recent backup, so as to determine what part of that file changed.

Now since the file is stored encrypted, librsync does not have access to the decrypted backup. Or does it? How does the comparison happen since the remote backup is encrypted? Where does the decryption happen?

Thank you for your answers.

Haim.