[Duplicity-talk] Secure setup

From: Johnix
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Secure setup
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:57:22 +0100

Hello,

I'm about to deploy Duplicity over the Internet, with someone I don't
know/trust. I'm not too worried about safegarding the duplicity data
against malicious tampering.

I've overlooked the list's discussions on creating an ssh agent, and
such. However, I'd like to know, as of now, what can be recommended as
a simple and safe way to host a duplicity server.

Should I set up a chrooted sshd on a non-standard port, with a
different /etc/passwd?

Should I create an account and mess with Pam so that the given user
cannot do anything else than use SCP?

Should I set up an FTP server which does not use /etc/passwd? Which
one is suitable?

Should I run sshd in an independant User-Mode Linux process?

Should I just set up a rsyncd server?

I think the answer to this question should be added in the FAQ.

Thanks,
--
Thomas Tempé
http://www.alysse.org/tom