[Duplicity-talk] a few questions about configurability

From: Dennis Lubert
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] a few questions about configurability
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:27:08 +0200

Hello,

Im trying to establish duplicity as a backup tool for my server, since
all I currently have to backup to is a ftp server I dont really trust
(data will not be lost there, but who knows who reads it..). Duplicity
seems to be just made for the job, nevertheless I have a few questions
about its operation and configuration:

- Can I replace the compression with bz2 or even custom compression
tools?
- Can I make the ftp upload part more fault tolerant? e.g. after some
timeout message from the server, the whole backup procedure seems to
abort, something bad for nightly unattended backups. But its just the
server that has a maximum session time limit it seems, so reconnecting
then works well. Or can duplicity be configured to resume the previously
aborted backup?
- Can I give it a maximum space it has available to backup? So it starts
deleting old backups not needed anymore? I have only like 10GB space on
the ftp and my current backup is almost 5GB of size, so I really dont
know what happens when I run out of space...

I have also some questions about the messages I saw during operation:

- Whenever duplicity encountered a unix socket it gave some "Error
initializing file" error message. Is that bad? Or can it be ignored?

- During some incremental backup, it said it found several new files and
directories. But they were there before too. Does that mean it didnt
backup it before for some reason?

greets

Dennis