Re: [Duplicity-talk] Error when running as a daily job

From: Michael Johnson
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Error when running as a daily job
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:47:51 -0400

After months of head scratching, I've finally solved this in my situation. It's surprisingly easy and the answer was staring me in the face the whole time.

When run from cron, the environment variables are slightly different. I tried running it manually as root and removing a variable one-by-one until it failed. Sadly it never failed until I removed all the variables. I had the right idea, but the wrong method.

Now, in my crontab, I use:

10 3 * * 1      root su -c /etc/duplicity/backups.weekly.bash

where before I had:

10 3 * * 1      root /etc/duplicity/backups.weekly.bash

Since it ran fine when done manually, I just tricked cron into running it manually, sort of. See man su for more information on the -c option.

Anyway, that fixed it for me. If any of you have not yet given up on this and are still looking, this might fix it for you as well.

-Michael

What you can do, or dream you can do, begin it; boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
        - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe