Re: [Duplicity-talk] backup space full

From: duplicity
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] backup space full
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:37:41 -0600

This is a little late, but I thought it might be useful.

I use Duplicity because I have a low bandwidth connection to my server, so doing occasional full backups isn't possible. What I've done in the past is to extract the backup to a system with a fast connection (or even the local filesystem of the backup server), delete the duplecity backup, and then backup the extracted files. This gets rid of all the incremental backups and creates a full backup that is a mirror of the production system.

 In order for this to work, you will have to run subsequent duplicity
backups with the --allow-source-mismatch flag, since your original source (the fast-connected server) won't match your subsequent sources (the production server). I haven't had a problem doing this.

Example:

  ON FAST-CONNECTED SERVER:
duplicity scp://address@hidden//backup_dir/ /backup_extraction_dir

  ON BACKUP SERVER:
  (WARNING: MAKE SURE THE PREVIOUS EXTRACTION SUCCEEDED!!!)
rm -r /backup_dir; mkdir /backup_dir

  ON FAST-CONNECTED SERVER:
duplicity /backup_extraction_dir scp://address@hidden//backup_dir

  ON PRODUCTION SERVER:
duplicity --allow-source-mismatch /data_dir \
 scp://address@hidden//backup_dir

  -Seren

Dennis Lubert wrote:
Hi,

within the next 2 or 3 days, the space on my backup system will be full. What is the recommended action with duplicity to do? Can it be set to delete the oldest backup? Or even do something to cope with that case automatically?

greets

Dennnis