Re: [Duplicity-talk] Frequency of full versus incremental backups?

From: Sir Oregano
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Frequency of full versus incremental backups?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:46:42 -0400

On 7/10/07, Thomas Tuttle <address@hidden> wrote:

[snip]

So, a few questions:

1. Any advice?  I don't have any sort of statistics on how often I
change files, so what kind of behavior can I expect from duplicity?  Is
it better to just pile up incrementals and keep only two full backups
(perhaps the last two months), or is it better to do full backups more
often?

2. Is there a way to do "backup levels", so I can have monthly full
backups, then weekly backups of the changes since the last weekly, and
daily backups of the changes since the last daily?  That way I could
trash the higher-resolution backups without having to restart the whole
chain.

Can't help you on (3), but my [attempt at] usage of duplicity seems to
answer (1) and maybe (2). I have a small home server, in which lives a
3-disk RAID-5 array. We keep everything here that needs some
'insurance' against a single-disk failure. But there's also some data
(business stuff, tax stuff, etc.) that lives on this array that needs
to survive the house burning down, too.

For this, I use duplicity with an rsync.net account, much like you. I
have 2 cron jobs, one that runs nightly (3:30AM) on month days 2-31,
and one that runs at 3:30AM on the 1st day of the month.

The monthly job performs a full backup with --remove-older-than 2W
option, and the nightly job performs the incremental.

Based on other posts in this thread, though, I think I may switch to
weekly full backups. Either way, I'll use 2 separate cron jobs to
execute differing duplicity commands.

Hope this helps,
Dave