Re: [Duplicity-talk] recovering

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] recovering
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:29:12 +0100

> Which version of duplicity? So one can match line numbers.

The OP is running 0.4.2 on Debian (based on off-list communication).

The stack trace indicates get_manifest() on a backup set is returning None. I
followed the code down to get_remote_manifest(), and found a possible culprit
for silent failure:

        def get_remote_manifest(self):
                """Return manifest by reading remote manifest on backend"""
                assert self.remote_manifest_name
                # Following by MDR.  Should catch if remote encrypted with

                # public key w/o secret key

                try: manifest_buffer =
self.backend.get_data(self.remote_manifest_name)
                except IOError, message:
                        if message.args[0] == "GnuPG exited non-zero, with
code 131072":
                                return None
                        else: raise
                return manifest.Manifest().from_string(manifest_buffer)

What's MDR?

My gues based on the phrasing of that message, is that it intends to catch the
case where duplicity/gnupg is running without access to the secret key.
However - why would one want ot silently supress this?

What is the intended method of restoring with duplicity when the backup has
been done with asymetric keys? I have never done this, and
neither --encrypt-key nor --sign-key seem to be suitable, based on the
phrasing of the manpage.

Ingrid, does it help if you explicitly use --sign-key during the restoration
process? I suspect it will, though the manpage only explicitly states it is
needed to verify signatures.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'