Re: [Duplicity-talk] are periodic full backups necessary?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] are periodic full backups necessary?
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 07:09:56 -0600

Adam Megacz wrote:
> I'm trying to get a good understanding of the tradeoffs between
> rdiff-backup and duplicity.  One of the nice things about rdiff-backup
> is that the "most recent and backward diffs" means you never need to
> do a "full backup".

I'm not sure what you mean by "most recent and backward diffs".  Is that
the same as a differential backup?  Or is it the same as an incremental
based on the previous full backup?

> What are the consequences of never doing a full backup with
> duplicity's "original and forward diffs" format?  Will the time
> required for an incremental backup increase in proportion to how many
> incrementals there have been since the last full backup?  Or is the
> backup time independent of how "far back" the most recent full backup
> was?

The consequences, as Peter pointed out, are increased recovery times.  A
full backup is quick to recover since its only one pass.  A differential
(not implemented) only requires two passes, recover full and recover the
last differential.  An incremental backup requires that you recover the
full backup, then apply each incremental.