Re: [Duplicity-talk] Problems with colons in the filenames

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Problems with colons in the filenames
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:56:13 -0500

Eric B. wrote:
> I'm running into a problem with duplicity filenames.  I am trying to use a
> cifs mount from a NAS device as a target directory, but apparently CIFS
> mount doesn't accept the ':' character as a valid character.  I was fairly
> sure that my NAS was an ext3 fs, but based on these results, I'm not so sure
> anymore.  Either that, or I am mounting the NAS drive incorrectly.
>
> Is my only solution in that case to use the --short-filenames option?
>
> Has there been any consideration given to the structure of duplicity
> filenames to be cross-OS compatible?
>
> I have my cifs mounted drive on my CentOS4 system that works properly under
> regular conditions.
> # mount -t cifs //bashful.domain.com/backups /mount/bashful/backup -o
> username=eric,password=eric,iocharset=utf8
>
> Or does anyone know if there is a way to make my CIFS mount recognize colons
> in the filename?

I have started the changes to make the filenames compatible across
systems.  Then life got in the way.  I'm back to it now and should have
something in the next couple of weeks, once I catch up on the patches
and bugs that have been reported over the last 3-4 months.

You might want to try the '--time-separator=_' option (I just realized
its not in the help or man pages).  This will work under Windows file
systems.  For now, its that or --short-filenames.