Re: [Duplicity-talk] IOError: [Errno 3] No such process

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] IOError: [Errno 3] No such process
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 10:08:28 +0200

> 338, in read
>     buf = self.infile.read(length)
> IOError: [Errno 3] No such process
>
> In my case, on a cPanel VPS running on CentOS 4.6, the cause appears to be
> attempting to backup the /home/virtfs/ directory. This is where cPanel sets
> up chroot jails for shell users. I guess it's a permissions problem. But
> fixing it was as simple as adding --exclude=/home/virtfs to the Duplicity
> command.

It seems it gets the 'no such process' on *reading*, which indicates
it should be a separate problem from gpg dying (as talked about in
your original post).

I suspect, since you say these are chroots, that duplicity is simply
backing up some particular special file which as special semantics
when read from (let's say it traverses the chroot's mounted /proc file
system or something along those lines).

I don't know specifically which file might be most likely to be the
actual problem here though. if you wish to find out more, I suggest
re-running, without the --exclude, with -v9 (or even just -v5 should
be enough) to see which file duplicity is backing up at the time it
fails.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'