[Duplicity-talk] Restore numeric owner?

From: Dylan Martin
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Restore numeric owner?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:24:39 -0700

When restoring a tar backup, you can specify --numeric-owner (at least
with GNU tar) and files will keep the numeric uid/gid from the
archive, even if they map to the different user names on the running
system.  This is useful if you're doing the restore on a different
system than the files will actually be used on.

I'll explain my question another way in case I'm not making sense:
When I restore a system, I normally boot up with a CD or other media.
I then mount the hard drive of the victim machine and restore files
onto that hard drive.  If the /etc/passwd file on the CD is not the
same as the /etc/passwd file on the system I'm restoring, files will
belong to the wrong user when I finally reboot the system on it's own.
 Using tar, I can get around this with the --numeric-owner switch.

Is there a way to do this with duplicity?  If not, It's a feature I'd
love to see.  Is there a best way to handle this situation?  Right
now, I think I'll have to restore to a directory, chroot, and then do
a complete restore again to reset all the uids and gids.

Thanks!
-Dylan