[Duplicity-talk] Problem with incremental backups and IMAP

From: Felix Richter
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Problem with incremental backups and IMAP
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:25:02 +0100

Hello,

i've a problem with the duplicity IMAP function.

First, i have a vps with all my mails stored in a Maildir, and i want to backup this directory every day. Some weeks ago i've done this with duplicity in conjunction with ftplicity to the ADrive ftp server, but the ftp login is now closed to basic users.

I found the new IMAP backend of duplicity and installed the latest version (0.5.09). I've created a google-mail and a gmx.com account to test it. The full backup works without problems, incremental backups also for some days... but after some days this error message is showed:

. Traceback (most recent call last):
.   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 582, in <module>
.     with_tempdir(main)
.   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 576, in with_tempdir
.     fn()
.   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 561, in main
.     check_last_manifest(col_stats) # not needed for full backup
.   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 496, in check_last_manifest
.     last_backup_set.check_manifests()
. File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 130, in check_manifests
.     remote_manifest = self.get_remote_manifest()
. File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 160, in get_remote_manifest
.     manifest_buffer = self.backend.get_data(self.remote_manifest_name)
. File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/duplicity/backend.py", line 363, in get_data
.     fin = self.get_fileobj_read(filename, parseresults)
. File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/duplicity/backend.py", line 324, in get_fileobj_read
.     self.get(filename, tdp)
. File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/duplicity/backends/imapbackend.py", line 172, in get
.     raise Exception("no mail with subject %s")
. Exception: no mail with subject %s

What can it be? I've already "played" with some options... reduced the volume size to 10, short filenames... but nothing.

If i delete all the backup files and do a full backup and after that a incremental (the content has of course changed), it works.

The second question is, how to reduce the size of the sigtar-file from the full backup? It's at the moment 28 MB (i think, because my Maildir is 1.6 GB), and so i cannot backup to the gmail-account (20 MB attachment limit).

So long,
Felix