Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity 4.2.1 on CentOS 4.7 causing resource shor

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity 4.2.1 on CentOS 4.7 causing resource shortage on VPS
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 07:13:57 -0600

Marcus Clements wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am happily using Duplicity 4.2.1 on my CentOS 4.7 VPS as a scheduled
> nightly backup. Here are the statistics from last night (a typical
> night):
>
> --------------[ Backup Statistics ]--------------
> StartTime 1236141154.58 (Wed Mar  4 04:32:34 2009)
> EndTime 1236142613.88 (Wed Mar  4 04:56:53 2009)
> ElapsedTime 1459.30 (24 minutes 19.30 seconds)
> SourceFiles 274433
> SourceFileSize 11725383817 (10.9 GB)
> NewFiles 439
> NewFileSize 257124568 (245 MB)
> DeletedFiles 235
> ChangedFiles 1347
> ChangedFileSize 447798267 (427 MB)
> ChangedDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
> DeltaEntries 2021
> RawDeltaSize 133981593 (128 MB)
> TotalDestinationSizeChange 276740588 (264 MB)
> Errors 0
>
> I use munin to monitor the performance of the server in general and
> there are no unusual or troubling resource problems reported there.
> However in the Virtuozzo control panel, under Quality of Service,
> every night during the backup the VPS runs out of lockedpages, which
> are (from the Virtuozzo manual) "The memory not allowed to be swapped
> out (locked with the mlock() system call), in pages."
> This server is relatively new and not under much load currently but
> that is likely to change in the coming months. I've talked to the
> hosting provider, who doubled the lockedpages parameter a couple of
> days ago in response to my request but QoS still repeatedly reports
> "Yellow Zone", "Red Zone" and "Black Zone" resource shortages for
> lockedpages.
>
> I'm concerned that the backup will make the server run slowly while it
> is in operation. Is there a change I can make to the settings in
> Duplicity or elsewhere in the system so that the process uses less of
> the lockedpages resource?

You're running an ancient version of duplicity, so I would first suggest
you upgrade to the latest, 0.5.10, before doing much more analysis.  You
can get the newest version at http://duplicity.nongnu.org/.

As to mlock'ed pages -- duplicity does not explicitly lock any pages
into memory, so I am going to have to ask what command line you used,
and what is the target filesystem (Linux or Windows), and any other
details you can give (Python version, etc.).

...Thanks,