[Duplicity-talk] Incremental Failures

From: Jeff Singer
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Incremental Failures
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:40:00 -0400

My previous backup setup was simply to backup all of our data to an onsite file server running Ubuntu, and occasionally burn the most important subset of that data to a dvd and mail it to another location. Because the DVD could no longer fit all of the critical data, and because we weren't backing up very frequently, I thought changing to duplicity and amazon s3 would serve as a good way to get geographic redundency.

However, we have a very slow internet connection, and the initial full backup took around 30 hours, while saturating our connection (over a weekend). I've read that after a certain number of incremental backups, something will get messed up, and they won't be any good anymore, so it's reccomended that we do full backups around once a month. However, I don't think we can upload that much data with our current internet connection.

What do other users do in this situation? Is a full backup once every 6 months and nightly incrementals enough? What can we do to reduce the risk of corrupted incrementals? Is it likely only to be a single file that is irrecoverable if there is a problem with the incrementals?