Re: [Duplicity-talk] While we're waiting for invincible-against-corrupti

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] While we're waiting for invincible-against-corruption encryption ;), what about SHA512?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 07:57:17 -0500

Jacob wrote:
> Right now, after every backup, I create sha512sums for newly created
> backups, and append that to a big file of sha512sums. I'm wondering
> if duplicity can do this sha512sum checking automatically for me. It
> could be an additional option:
>
> --sha512-file=/path/to/sha512sum-file
>
> When any new duplicity file is created, it should also generate
> sha512sums for that file and append it to the file mentioned. When
> any existing backups are read, it would check sha512sums first.

Depending on which is available, duplicity keeps either SHA1 or MD5
hashes on the volume files and checks it during the recovery.  You'll
get a warning if they don't match.  This does not cover the signature or
manifest files though.  We need that as well.

What we need also is par2 or equivalent to provide recoverability in the
presence of errors.  It's in the plans for a future release.