Re: [Duplicity-talk] Avoid following symbolic links

From: Michael A. Sidenius
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Avoid following symbolic links
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:02:29 +0200

Quoting Cristian KLEIN <address@hidden>:

Michael A. Sidenius a écrit :
Hi,

Would it be possible to make Duplicity avoid following symbolic (soft)
links?

The best solution would of cause be a command line option, but I could
live with a local patched version, if someone could point me to where to
do the change.

Without patching, you could run "find -type l" to get all symlinks, then
exclude them using --exclude-filelist or --exclude-filelist-stdin.

Good idea. Thanks for the input. Will be heavy on the processing though, since it need to be updated every time I run Duplicity. My general Duplicity script has the following syntax:

duplicity "bla..bla" $INCLUDE_GLOBBING_FILELIST --exclude /  /

so I have a whole bunch of backup sets in glob files, which I can put in the include globbing variable. I have 3T of space, so running find from / every time I do a backup of a small subset would be rather overkill, IMHO. If Duplicity could exclude the (few) soft links it finds in the subset from the glob file, I believe it would be more "light weigth".
-Michael