Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can't find _librsync?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can't find _librsync?
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 16:48:41 -0600

Scott Hannahs wrote:
> Mac OS X 10.6 and Python 2.6
>
> I have beat my head on this a bit and seem not to be able to figure out why
> duplicity can't find this library.  Duplicity seems to be looking for the
> library _librsync which as far as I can tell does not exist.  This is called
> from the librsync.py which does exist.  When I run duplicity I get the
> following traceback:
>
> % export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages:/sw/lib/
> % /usr/local/bin/duplicity --encrypt-key XXXXXXXX --sign-key YYYYYYYY
> --gpg-options='--default-key=ZZZZZZZZ' $HOME/Documents/ file:///tmp/Documents/
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/duplicity", line 41, in <module>
>     from duplicity import collections
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/duplicity/collections.py",
> line 29, in <module>
>     from duplicity import path
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/duplicity/path.py", line 33,
> in <module>
>     from duplicity import librsync
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/duplicity/librsync.py", line
> 37, in <module>
>     blocksize = _librsync.RS_JOB_BLOCKSIZE
> NameError: name '_librsync' is not defined
>
> I have set the PYTHONPATH variable and if I check, it seems that /sw/lib is
> in my path correctly if I print sys.path.
>
> At /sw/lib exist both librsync.a and librsync.dylib
>
> Just for completeness here is the build command for duplicity that I use to
> reference the librsync that I installed with fink.
>
> sudo python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local --librsync-dir=/sw

Have you tried a normal install without specifying the prefix and
librsync options?  That should work.  There are a lot of complications
when trying to use other than the default Python install options, mainly
with the PYTHONPATH settings.  It's just not worth the hassle.

In addition, to compile librsync correctly you will need the module
librsync-dev from the repositories.