Re: [Duplicity-talk] Migrate from local to S3 target

From: Ed Blackman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Migrate from local to S3 target
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:50:23 -0400

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 06:21:09AM +0200, Avi Rozen wrote:
Ed Blackman wrote:
I've been testing out duplicity for almost a year to a local target. I'm considering a move to S3, but would want to retain the backups I
took in that time.  Is there a way to copy the local target backups to
S3?  If it were a remote FTP, SSH, webdav backend, I think it would be
easy enough to copy them, but I've got no idea how to do that for S3. Any suggestions?

I did this with s3cmd [1], which is available on Debian/Ubuntu via
aptitude/synaptic:
s3cmd sync <local-dir> <s3://bucket/prefix>

So I could just do that, then access it through the s3+http://bucket/prefix target URL? Great, that's much simpler than I thought it would be.

Depending on the amount of data, this can take quite a while (8 days in
my case).

Certainly, but thanks for the warning.

I also moved the local duplicity cache from ~/.cache/duplicity/<url
md5sum> to a different directory, and started using the --archive and
--name command line options - instead of having duplicity regenerate the
cache from the remote files.

I've been using --archive-dir and --name already, so no problem there.

Thanks for the help!

Ed