Re: cleanup --really-clean ? Re: [Duplicity-talk] Removing incrementals

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: Re: cleanup --really-clean ? Re: [Duplicity-talk] Removing incrementals of old full backups
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:26:20 +0100

Le vendredi 19 mars 2010 à 08:04 -0500, Kenneth Loafman a écrit :
> Olivier Berger wrote:
> > Le vendredi 19 mars 2010 à 06:10 -0500, Kenneth Loafman a écrit :
> >
> >> What details do you want?  It's new in the later releases because the
> >> nature of cleanup changed to just clean up orphaned files, by default,
> >> using --really-clean to do the rest of the work if you wanted it.
> >>

> > Well... in which codebase can I find this ? ... last time I checked, I
> > didn't find it :-(
> >
> > At least rgrep -i really in duplicity-0.6.08b/ doesn't give any results,
> > AFAICT.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Best regards,
>
> Sorry, it's --extra-clean, not --really-clean.  My confusion.

Ah, ok ;)

but...
      --extra-clean
              When cleaning up, be more aggressive about saving space.  For
example, this may delete signature files for old backup chains.  See the
              cleanup argument for more information.

I may be wrong, but this tends to indicate that it will cleanup most of
what might have been left around (signature files, etc.).

But does this really remove incremental backups on the target backup
space, only keeping their base full backups ?

Let me repeat my use case :
        I cannot seem to find a set of duplicity options that would
        allow me to keep only full (monthly) backups, if I were to use
        "duplicity
        incremental --full-if-older-than 30D".

I imagined this --extra-clean option was just a kind of rm -f on all
hidden files instead of rm or regular files, and not a specific removal
of only incremental backup files (to take an analogy to unix filesystem)

Maybe the docs should be improved to make this more explicit ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER <address@hidden>