[Duplicity-talk] [newbie] backup nesting filetrees?

From: Tom Roche
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] [newbie] backup nesting filetrees?
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 22:58:18 -0400

I'm wondering how duplicity can accomplish the following usecase.
(Please excuse any failures of understanding or vocabulary.)

Because I update some files more frequently than others, my home
(call it "/home/me") has

* a large number of subtrees which change relatively slowly (e.g.
  /home/me/refs)

* a small number of subtrees which change relatively quickly (notably
  /home/me/logs).

I thus prefer to backup /home/me/logs more frequently (e.g. daily) and
/home/me/refs less frequently (e.g. weekly). However as noted there are
many more slow-changing subtrees than fast-changing ones; while it is
easy to explicitly backup the fast-changers, it is more tedious to
explicitly backup the slow-changers. With my current backup "tool"
(simple scripts driving raw `rsync`) I accomplish this by backing up,
incrementally, to the same media,

* daily:  /home/me/logs -> /backup/home/me/logs
* weekly: /home/me      -> /backup/home/me

(At longer intervals I pull media out of the backup pool and stash them
away.) Thus I get frequent explicit backups of the fast-changers, and
less frequent, implicit backups of the slow-changers (which constitute
the rest of the whole home space in which they nest). This works because
each backup is a simple mirror of its source, so backups can nest within
each other just as filetrees do. I can also backup any particular
subtree when I know something important has changed within it.

However `duplicity` is tar-ing and compressing, not just mirroring, so
I'm suspecting the above strategy just won't work. I.e. I can't have
one `duplicity` backup nested within another. Is that correct?
If so, I'm suspecting the most, umm, "duplicitous" way to capture
regular changes in a subspace is just to backup the whole space, e.g.

* daily:  incremental backup of /home/me
* weekly: full backup of /home/me

Is that correct?

Apologies if this is a FAQ, but a brief search (which may have used
quite the wrong search terms) found nothing related.

TIA, Tom Roche <address@hidden>