Re: [Duplicity-talk] decryption failed: secret key not available after p

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] decryption failed: secret key not available after purging .cache
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 16:11:40 +0100

raise GPGError, msg
GPGError: GPG Failed, see log below:
===== Begin GnuPG log =====
gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID 569CEC70
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
===== End GnuPG log =====

[SNIP]

The directory in cache/duplicity is being created - if I move everything back -
no problem running the command.

The key mentioned in the GPG-error is completely unknown to me...
/root/.gnupg/secring.gpg
------------------------
sec 1024D/33A19F7C 2010-11-25
uid patricks secret key
ssb 1024g/34F60720 2010-11-25

the key to which the backup is encrypted to must reside somewhere on your
machine. Check as which user the backups are running and do a gpg --list-keys
as well as gpg --list-secret-keys .. it is probably just the public id of the
key.

also: ~/.duply/sys_duply# ls
conf exclude gpgkey.33A19F7C.pub.asc gpgkey.33A19F7C.sec.asc

The expected behavior would be that duplicity re-downloads the manifests if
missing on the local cache. I am not quite sure what I could have done to mess
up the thing.

You are probably stumbling over the silent disregard of the impossibility to
decrypt the manifest files when comparing archive-dir with remote. As long as
there is a valid local cache this problem does not show up.  See
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.duplicity.general/4245
.

You are running under an english locale I guess?

Eventually:
Try to find the key you encoded to, or do a full backup and do your test again.

..ede/duply.net