Re: [Duplicity-talk] Operation of verify command

From: Chris Poole
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Operation of verify command
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:26:27 +0000

Actually, I'm not sure it's doing what I thought it was doing.

I backed up most of my home directory to an external drive, at
/volumes/drive/backup.

To verify the backup, I created a directory /volumes/drive/backup-verify.

I then performed

    duplicity verify -v5 --encrypt-key MYKEY
file:///volumes/drive/backup /volumes/drive/backup-verify

It successfully started decrypting and extracting the tar files, but
then for each file said "Difference found: file ... is missing".

I assume that this wouldn't be the case if I'd put the target
directory as ~/. I don't like just swapping the URLs round though, it
feels like I'm about to restore a slightly old backup over my current
local filesystem.

If it just compares the hashes of the files in the difftars to the
hashes it made in the signatures file, then why is it complaining that
all the files are missing?