Re: [Duplicity-talk] GPL-3

From: Joe MacDonald
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] GPL-3
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:30:05 -0400

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 10.04.2011 14:56, Michael Terry wrote:
> Edgar, that's true if we were talking about relicensing to a
> completely difference license or to a lower version of GPL (as we did
> from 3 to 2).  But because all contributors have agreed to license as

which was taking back the license upgrade from before, actually continuing with the old licensed state, wasn't it?

> GPL 2+, we already have permission to use their code as GPL 3+.  So it
> would just be a change of headers.

you are absolutely right here. sorry, my mistake, i researched again and of course everybody can upgrade gpl'ed code to the next version (turning included gpl2 code from this point on to gpl3 as well)

reading (tivoization, patent protection, apache license compatibility)
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.html
i also vote for this change.

I can't speak for anyone else, but as a distro vendor (my day job, not at this email address) a move to GPLv3 would mean I wouldn't be doing any further upgrades in our package and eventually it would get removed.  I've got absolutely no say in our policy on licenses but anything GPLv3 is specifically forbidden by our legal department (and explicitly stated as to be excluded by some of our customers).

RMS' comments aside, is there particular reasons of interest to the duplicity developers to move to v3 from v2+?  Just wondering.

-J.

sory for the noise and thanks mt,) ede/duply.net