[Duplicity-talk] problem carrying forward from restarted full backup

From: Eliot Moss
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] problem carrying forward from restarted full backup
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 15:11:25 -0400

Dear friends --

Here is a scenario I am seeing, and it is problematic for me since
the full backup I want to achieve takes quite some time to complete.

1) Start full backup. Fails in the middle.

2) Run that backup again. Completes successfully.
   Note: the sigtar files seems to *repeat* the initial
   signatures. That is, the ones added from (1) get
   added *again*, followed by the signatures of files
   not backed up by (1).

3) Run incremental backup. Seems to complete ok,
   though lists many files as "deleted".

4) Run second incremental backup. Finds new files,
   then starts to append the files that (2) added to
   (1).

Note that I did not run cleanup between 1 and 2;
was that a mistake? Would it have made a difference?

My fall back now is to created the full backup locally
(fortunately I have the space) and then to transfer the
encrypted compress tar files to the remote site manually
(I can probably run that in parallel, actually). This way
the full backup will not die in the middle because of
network outage, and should also complete quickly compared
with the backups that had to send many Gbs over a cable
modem ...

But the behavior I described strikes me as broken, which is
why I am reporting it ...

Best -- Eliot