Re: [Duplicity-talk] File *.gpg was corrupted during upload.

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] File *.gpg was corrupted during upload.
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 13:26:33 -0500

On 6 November 2011 13:04,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> well it is not a problem in our code if the retry is successful. then it is
> most probably an issue with the line/connection/backend_software on which we
> do not have an influence.

But the backends have code to check that.  Take the GIO backend.
There's a blocking call to upload a file.  If there's a problem with
the line/connection, there will be an error.  If there's not, and all
the bits go up, GIO will say "all done".

In such cases as this corruption test, GIO is saying "all done" and
the file still isn't what we expected.  Which means we uploaded
something bad or we have some weird subtle bug somewhere.

I'm not saying retrying is necessarily a bad idea.  It may help in
these cases.  Though note that we haven't yet heard reports of someone
that hit it for its original purpose -- only the person that hit it
via a new bug in 0.6.16's S3 backend.  It makes me worried that the
check isn't working for the original cases.

It's a matter of whether we feel that getting to the bottom of this
subtle bug is more or less important than the impact of people seeing
this error message.

-mt