Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity - restore files

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity - restore files
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 15:23:32 +0100

On 09.12.2011 19:17, eleanor wrote:
Hi.

I want to implement some kind of a script/program that would display a
tree of all my backed-up files. And when I would choose certain
folder/file I could restore it to the previous versions - I guess
there would have to be a list of all backuped-up times next to the
file.

So if I have a file aaa.txt, which contains text "a", and that file is
added to the remote server, and then another 'a' is added, so the text
is "aa", some more text is added "aaa", and so on. Upon selecting the
file aaa.txt I would then want to display the three dates when the
file was modified:
- aaa.txt 1.12.2011: 12.00 (the file contained "a")
- aaa.txt 2.12.2011: 12.00 (the file contained "aa")
- aaa.txt 3.12.2011: 12.00 (the file contained "aaa")

problem is, with the current implementation by listing all files you cannot
distinguish different versions in the listings.
After that I would select the file intance (whatever I wanted) and I
could download that version.

How much of this can be done by duplicity itself?
1) Can I list all of the version of file, including the dates of file
change?

you can list all files for one date/time currently. to get all versions from
all times you have to repeat this and filter the output to get the list you
want. not performant but possible.

If this is not an option, do I have to use my own database,
which would store all the changes to all the files? If that is so, how
can I display all the files that have been changed in the most recent
sync. I guess some instance of the --verbose command or something.

right, raise verbosity until you get the entries of files added/changed/etc

2) Can I download a specific version of a file? (yes, I know I can
with a -t option: So this only requires to calculate the right time in
past to use with the -t option)

correct, you can use absolute and relative times, check manpage for the syntax

eventually, although currently not implemented as you want, it is definitely
possibly to add this to duplicity. if you want to dive into python or want to
sponsor it you could so.

..ede/duply.net