Re: [Duplicity-talk] trying to convert my backup script

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] trying to convert my backup script
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 10:39:36 +0200

On 05.09.2012 06:08, turgut kalfaoğlu wrote:
> I am trying to convert my backup script that copies files to my external
> drive to use duplicity, so I can benefit from its encryption features, but
> I'm having no luck.
>
> My script uses rsync to backup a variety of directories, such as /var/www
> /home/turgut, /etc to the external USB drive.
>
> I am unable to specify more than once source in the duplicity command line..
> I tried specifying them all, duplicity said "too many parameters."
> I then tried the --include option, then it complains of not enough parameters.
> Then I used  duplicity / --include /var/www --include /home/turgut --include
> etc /run/media/turgut/usbdisk
> but it complained that  /  the source already includes my specified
> directories!
>
> If I divide this work into many different calls of duplicity, one for each
> directory, then the script stops and asks me for my gnupg passphrase every
> time, so that's ugly too.

why exactly do you want the backups encrypted when the disk resides _locally_
where the unencrypted data is?

for a setup like this i usually prefer a combination of truecrypt and rsync.
this way all data on the shuttle disk is protected if it travels but i still
have easy access to it and not to worry if software does support it. you can
even ntfs format it for multi platform support.

..ede/duply.net