Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity 0.6.20 sets terminal parameters

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity 0.6.20 sets terminal parameters
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:46:07 +0100

On 14.11.2012 04:59, Scott Hannahs wrote:
> I recently upgraded to duplicity 0.6.20 and tested it from my terminal and it
> ran fine.  However when run as a cron job it now fails.  My sh script that is
> run periodically (actually as a launch daemon) has the following in it:

> export PYTHONPATH=/sw/lib:/Library/Python
> export PASSPHRASE=""
> mkdir -p /var/tmp/duplicity
>
> DUPLICITY_OPT="--num-retries 5 \
> --tempdir /var/tmp/duplicity \
> --volsize 250 \
> --asynchronous-upload \
> --encrypt-key XXXXXXXX \
> --sign-key YYYYYYYY \
> --gpg-options=--default-key= XXXXXXXX \
> --force \
> --verbosity Notice \
> --allow-source-mismatch
> --exclude **/Documents/Virtual?Machines/**"
>
> The blank PASSPHRASE should mean that duplicity does not use the terminal to
> prompt for a password.  Since it is merely encrypting and signing it does not
> need a passphrase as it works if I just run the script.  This has worked for
> years.  However now I get the following as duplicity tries to set the
> terminal to raw.  The documentation man page claims that I do not need to set
> SIGN_PASSPHRASE separately since it will default to the regular passphrase.
>
> /sw/lib/python2.7/getpass.py:83: GetPassWarning: Can not control echo on the
> terminal.
>   passwd = fallback_getpass(prompt, stream)
> Warning: Password input may be echoed.
> GnuPG passphrase for signing key: Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/sw/bin/duplicity", line 1403, in <module>
>     with_tempdir(main)
>   File "/sw/bin/duplicity", line 1396, in with_tempdir
>     fn()
>   File "/sw/bin/duplicity", line 1351, in main
>     globals.gpg_profile.signing_passphrase = get_passphrase(1, action, True)
>   File "/sw/bin/duplicity", line 158, in get_passphrase
>     pass1 = getpass.getpass(_("GnuPG passphrase for signing key:")+" ")
>   File "/sw/lib/python2.7/getpass.py", line 83, in unix_getpass
>     passwd = fallback_getpass(prompt, stream)
>   File "/sw/lib/python2.7/getpass.py", line 118, in fallback_getpass
>     return _raw_input(prompt, stream)
>   File "/sw/lib/python2.7/getpass.py", line 135, in _raw_input
>     raise EOFError
> EOFError

hi scott.. still around :)

ups, actually it should have been
"The passphrase to be used for --sign-key , if SIGN_PASSPHRASE is not set but
PASSPHRASE is set and the sign key is also one of the encryption keys, the
latter will be used."

relationale is:
it's plausible that you probably don't have two keys with the same passphrase.
so to make sure we do not simply reuse PASSPHRASE we check if the same key is
used to encrypt against also beforehand.

simply set SIGN_PASSPHRASE and your problem should disappear.

..ede/duply.net