Re: [Duplicity-talk] Direct backup of LVM snapshot partitions?

From: George MacKerron
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Direct backup of LVM snapshot partitions?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 11:58:30 +0000

Thanks Martin, that's really helpful -- I'll investigate rdiff.

I guess an alternative feature that would support this use case might be
duplicity backup of data from stdin (possibly with a nominal file name)? Then I
could do something like:

dd if=/dev/blah | duplicity --stdin-data=devblah.img ...

In fact, the main thing I normally use duplicity for is backup of Postgres
pg_dump output, and it seems like this would be really useful there too
(avoiding a lot of disk space wasted on temporary files, and a lot of thrashing
the disk) -- i.e.

pg_dump … | duplicity --stdin-data=mydb.sql ...

But perhaps there are reasons this wouldn't work -- such as needing random
access to the data being backed up?

(PS. Apologies if this appears wrongly threaded, having only got your message
in the archive I couldn't see how to reply in the thread).