[Duplicity-talk] duply usage -max age

From: Patrick Werner
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] duply usage -max age
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 16:38:51 -0400

Hello Everyone,

i just read a lot about duply and duplicity.
But i don't get the exact difference between purge and purge-full. I have the
same problem with the difference between MAX_AGE and MAX_FULLBKP_AGE.

I like to explain to you what i think its the meaning of these parameters:

purge will delete all backups (inc and full?) older than max_age in the config
or command line
i've tried: duply xxx purge 1D

--- Start running command PURGE at 16:27:46.794 ---
Import of duplicity.backends.giobackend Failed: No module named gio
Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
Last full backup date: Tue Jun  4 19:12:37 2013
No old backup sets found, nothing deleted.

Thats a different result than i expected. The last Full Backup is 4 days old.

purge-full should work the same but for full backups. If Inc Backups are
depending on a full backup - nothing should happen? Or will the whole chain be
deleted?
When i try:  duply xxx purge-full 1D i get the same output as above.

the config value MAX_AGE is used for inc and full backups during the purge
command, MAX_FULLBKP_AGE for purge-full

What i want to implement on my server:
Weekly backups, every 2 weeks a full backups, max backup time: 1 month

So i should set  MAX_FULLBKP_AGE=2W, MAX_AGE =30D and use  duply humbug
backup_verify_purge --force ?

It would be really nice if somebody could help me to understand these settings
a little better, i think the man page of duply could be more specific on these
settings and/or provide some simple examples.
I'll be happy to contribute to improve the man page, but first i need help.

Thanks a lot
Patrick Werner