Re: [Duplicity-talk] How about adding option --omit-dir-times?

From: Danil Semelenov
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] How about adding option --omit-dir-times?
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 15:50:16 +0400

For my particular usecase of duplicity for backupsit's not the matter of space efficiency, but the matter of consistency of mtimes. I have a lot of small backup archives with few files from file system in each. And every backup archive stores its own mtimes for system directories (/root, /home/user, /usr/local/bin, /etc, ...) Every time I wish to restore archive system directories get new mtime. Another inconvinience of this workflow is when I run duplicity verify I see a lot of dirs with changed mtimes, while I'm only interested in added/changed/deleted files.

> 3. that said, if you need it _and_ implement it properly and provide a patch, why not

Yes, it sounds fair, I'll try to implement this.

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04.08.2013 13:04, Danil Semelenov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to suggest to add and option --omit-dir-times to duplicity similar to analogous option in rsync. Here's the excerpt from rsync man:
>
>       -O, --omit-dir-times
>                This tells rsync to omit directories when it is preserving modification times (see --times).
>
> The directories times often change on creating/moving/deleting files in them (especially in home dirs). But personally I rarely wish to store this information in backup archives.

1. the changed mtime for dir entries takes virtually no space in the backup
2. as it reflects only the latest modified file, it'd also would not speed up duplicity significantly
3. that said, if you need it _and_ implement it properly and provide a patch, why not

..ede/duply.net