Re: [Duplicity-talk] 0.6.22: new_key on object-less URI

From: Lee Verberne
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] 0.6.22: new_key on object-less URI
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 20:50:12 -0700

I think there are two things going on here.  The first is that I introduced a bug into 0.6.22 that affects backups to the bucket root:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1218425

In retrospect, that was pretty large omission in my testing, but I always backup to subdirectories in the bucket and missed it. So I feel pretty silly about that one.

The second thing is that "tango.bitcetera.com" is an invalid bucket name for use with --s3-use-new-style.  From the duplicity man page:

       The details are beyond the scope of this man page, but it is important to know that your bucket must not contain  upper
       case  letters  or  any  other characters that are not valid parts of a hostname. Consequently, for reasons of backwards
       compatibility, use of subdomain based bucket addressing is not enabled by default.

I'm surprised that you haven't run into certificate errors.

The main problem is that bug, though.  The workaround would be to downgrade to 0.6.21, use a bucket subdirectory or apply a patch.

-lee

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM, svoop <address@hidden> wrote:
> I take it your bucket name is "tango.bitcetera.com"?

That's correct.

> What happens if you use the URL s3://
s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/tango.bitcetera.com/ ?

Exactly the same error occurs with the above URL (tried with and without the
trailing slash).