Re: [Duplicity-talk] Is the content of list-current-files encrypted on t

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Is the content of list-current-files encrypted on the backend?
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:53:01 +0200

On 29.09.2013 09:48, Victor Poughon wrote:
> Hi there
> I'm using duplicity with --encrypt-key and it works great. But when I do:
>     mv .gnupg gnupg.old
>     duplicity list-current-files <mybackend>
> it still returns the list of backed up files. Why? Can this
> information be accessed without my private key and passphrase ?
> What am I doing wrong?

nothing. duplicity locally caches unencrypted information about your backup
chain in the archive dir, see option --archive-dir
http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html#sect6

this is e.g. needed to do incremental backups without having to decrypt the
latest one, hence needing a secret.

..ede/duply.net