Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encryption password selection

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encryption password selection
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 18:30:13 +0100

On 08.12.2014 18:08, Yves Goergen wrote:
> For duplicity 0.6.23 (Ubuntu 14.04), what are the recommendations for
> selecting an encryption password? I can't find any information about how it's
> even used and what requirements (minimum/maximum length, allowed characters)
> there are.

for symmetric encryption passphrases anything from length of one character up
should work.

consult your favorite search engine for suggestions on how to choose "strong"
passwords/-phrases.

> Also, I've never seen a system encrypting and signing data with a password
> only (no key file involved),

that's because that is not possible. signing is always done with keys.

>and now I've read that duplicity also signs the backup volumes and can detect
>changes to it.

well, it'll warn you if that's the case. there is no strong error because of
that.

>Is that true or have I misunderstood something?

yes, you can encrypt symmetrically and sign the result with a key.

>I only know GnuPG with keys, not with passwords only.

duplicity uses gpg command line binary internally, so theoretically anything
that's possible with gpg duplicity can do as well.

..ede/duply.net