[Duplicity-talk] GPG key size and performance

From: Yves Goergen
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] GPG key size and performance
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:02:55 +0100

Hi,

I'm wondering whether a GPG key size of 2048 or 4096 bit will make a difference on the encryption/signing or decryption/verifying performance in duplicity. I'm used to much shorter backup and restore times without using an asymmetric key in duplicity, i.e. only a password. Then I started with a 4096 bit key and added signing and things got much slower, especially for the restore process (4 to 30 minutes).

So I redid it all and used a 2048 bit key. But today as I try that, it's even a lot slower. I believe that remote storage (SFTP) performance may have a greater effect on this, so my test method won't work.

Maybe SFTP is also slower to transfer than FTP which I used before, without the GPG key.

Does anybody have experience with key size vs. backup/restore speed? In general, if I can get higher security, I'd like to use it. But if it makes a full restore take double the time, I might reconsider this.

--
Yves Goergen
http://unclassified.de