[Duplicity-talk] Multiple instances of duplicity

From: Jan
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Multiple instances of duplicity
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 16:03:15 +0200

Hello,

I'm administrating a multiuser system and we are using Duplicity for our backups. After upgrading to Debian Jessie, the installed Duplicity version is now 0.6.24-1. In this version the archive directory has a lock file to prevent multiple instances of Duplicity running at the same time.

We have several hundred gigabytes of data on our server and full backups tend to take a few hours to complete. If a user wants to restore one of his files he gets the error message, that a Duplicity instance is already running:

Another instance is already running with this archive directory
If you are sure that this is the  only instance running you may delete
the following lockfile and run the command again :
/path/to/duplicity/archive/47fe7cfbf4a66a883c49f2035d43d00c/lockfile.lock

While we appreciate that there is a lock file to prevent corruption, we would like to give our users the possibility to restore files or just display which backups are available. That seems to be possible with the '--name' option, which tells Duplicity to use a different subfolder in the archive-dir. We would set '--name' to the user name or something user specific whenever he wants to read from the backup (i.e. collection-status, list-current-files, restore). Creating a new backup can't be triggered by our users, so I don't think this would corrupt our backups.

My question is, is the '--name' option save to use in this scenario or is there a better way that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Jan