Re: [Duplicity-talk] Running out of disk space -- new full backup?

From: Grant
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Running out of disk space -- new full backup?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 17:27:27 -0800

>> If you do full backups regularly, and keep at least 2 around, you can always
>> opt to keep fewer full backups too. See remove-all-but-n-full and
>> remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full for some options.
>

> So far I've only done 1 full backup and all incrementals after that.
> Should I re-think this strategy?  Is the point of running periodic
> full backups to save disk space as per above?
>
> - Grant
>

>>> One of the systems I send my backups to is running out of space.  Is
>>> the solution to delete all of the backups and run a new full backup?

Can anyone help me figure this out?  I've been using duplicity-0.6.26
happily for quite a while but I'm finally up against disk space.  One
of my systems has 14GB in /root/.cache/duplicity/ compared to 38GB in
the backup target.  That seems crazy so I deleted the cache but the
next duplicity run brought it right back in full 14GB glory.

Will running another full backup and using remove-all-but-n-full and
remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full reduce disk space usage at the backup
target and in the cache?

Is there another way to reduce the disk space used as cache?

- Grant