Re: [Duplicity-talk] Deleting an individual chain (full+incremental), an

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Deleting an individual chain (full+incremental), and the assertionerror
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 11:41:03 +0100

On 26.12.2016 06:21, Remy van Elst via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> I'm not able to find it in the manual, but is there a command to remove a
> specific chain from the backup backend via duplicity?
>
> For example:
>
> I make an incremental backup every day and a full backup if the incremental
> backup is older than 7 days. I have say, 8 'weeks' of backups, with 7 full
> backups and the incrementals.
>
> I want to delete the full backup and the 6 incremental backups from 3 weeks
> ago. How can I do that with duplicity?

sorry, that's not implemented.

>If I want to do it manually, which specific files would I have to remove from
>the backend?

easy. backend files are named with full/incr prefix and a time stamp. simply
delete all from full to the last incr that follows it, have aa look at the time
stamps to make sure to get the correct ones. make sure to get all incr
belonging to that chain, so that a lingering incr doe not get added to the
previous chain because it's original full is missing.

if unsure, simply move the files to a subfolder on the target and run a
collection-status to see if the result matces your expectation.

> The reason I'm asking this is because a lot of my backups give
> AssertionErrors once in while. Removing the local cache doesn't solve it. The
> annoying thing is that restoring fails, even from chains that never gave
> problems before (1 full, 6 incrementals). As far as I understand Duplicity, a
> full backup shouldn't be dependent on another full backup. Therefore I want
> to know if deleting the last full backup and incremental (which probably
> cause the AssertionError) solves the restore problem.

what's the assertion error anyway? what's your duplicity version?

..ede/duply.net