Re: [Duplicity-talk] Local cache directory with hashes at ~/.cache despi

From: Cláudio Gil
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Local cache directory with hashes at ~/.cache despite archive-dir and name set
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 09:34:30 +0000

Hi,

At least since 0.6.26, the combination of --archive-dir and --name work as expected. The default for --archive-dir is ~/.cache/duplicity and the default for --name is a hash of the destination URL. It might be easier to remember "archive dir" as "cache dir".

So if you specify both you get no surprises, when changing the destination (backend) URL. For example:

duplicity full --archive-dir ./cache --name test ./data s3://...

Will always (at least since 0.6.26+) keep a cache in ./data/test and never use ~/.cache. This will remain true regardless of the last URL. Obviously, if you change the destination duplicity will synchronize the local cache as that is how it works.

Regards,
Cláudio