Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity use of MD4/BLAKE2 and splitting of "verif

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity use of MD4/BLAKE2 and splitting of "verify" command
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:28:56 +0100

On 18.02.2017 23:19, Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:
> Hi duplicity devs,
>
> May I ask if it'd be possible for duplicity v0.8.x to support librsync's new
> (well not so new, they switched ~2 years ago) BLAKE2 format, instead of the
> old (and broken according to some) MD4-based checksumming ? Please see
> "SECURITY: MD4 collision/preimage attacks (CVE-2014-8242)" [1] [2]

agreed, raising the version number would be a good opportunity to make a clean
cut.

> And while I'm asking, I'd like to request that duplicity would split current
> "verify" into two commands: "verify" and "compare" (note: the current syntax
> causes confusion and I've found this specific request repeated in many
> questions/posts in the duplicity-talk list since 2010). Please see output of
> sample test runs attached below.

this is a long standing issue. so agreed again, but that would need someone
volunteering to implement it. maybe you'd like to offer a bounty or start a
coding bounty campaign for this on bountysource or similar.

..ede/duply.net