Re: [Duplicity-talk] Debugging intermittent SSH signature verification p

From: Andrew Beverley
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Debugging intermittent SSH signature verification problem
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 15:56:38 +0100

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:34:23 +0200 address@hidden wrote:
> On 05.06.2018 17:59, Andrew Beverley via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a very intermittent problem connecting to cloud storage using
> > SSH (SFTP with Parimiko).
> >
> > The error I occasionally receive is "BackendException: ssh connection
> > to ... failed: Signature verification (ssh-rsa) failed."
> >
> > The cloud storage provider is insistent that this is a local issue, but
> > I am not so sure.
> >
> > Is there some way I can debug this, such as logging the remote IP
> > address and actual SSH signature when the failure occurs?
> >
> > I am using Duplicity 0.7.11 on Debian as packaged.
> >

> Andy,
>
> you may try patching 'duplicity/backends/ssh_paramiko_backend.py' with
> something along the lines of
>   https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27587716/how-to-use-paramiko-logging

Thanks Edgar. I used that pointer to poke around in the code a bit, and
have found that the error is actually a problem with the signature of a
blob of data during the stream, rather than the initial connection. As
such, I've added some logging to record the data and signature next
time it fails.

Many thanks,

Andy