Re: [Duplicity-talk] Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

From: Nate Eldredge
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 19:11:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 May 2020, Andrew Wood via Duplicity-talk wrote:

Hi Nate/ everyone

Thanks for the suggestion below re. using a temporary directory, however the temporary directory only contains the restored /home directory and not the contents of the USB. Both locations were included as places for making back-ups to Deja-Vu, and indeed duplicity indicates that a full back-up was made of the USB - on 26 March as in my initial email to the list below.

Oh. The option --time asks for the most recent backup *at or before* the given time, and when you specify only a date it's interpreted as midnight (00:00h). So if the backup was actually made sometime *on* March 26, then you're getting an earlier backup. Perhaps you want --time "03-27-2020" instead.

You may want to use "duplicity list-current-files" with --time to see if your desired files are there, as of the specified date, before going through with the restore.

If I use the --force option as suggested then will it actually make any difference except restoring my /home directory again? More to the point, I don't need to restore the /home directory - it was already restored and indeed into the hard disk.

Yeah, --force won't affect which files are restored - it's just to allow you to restore into a directory which is not empty, potentially overwriting anything that's there. Using the temporary directory is safer.

It's the USB which is to be restored. I don't see how I can specify only restoring the USB and all its contents. Any suggestions? Surely, I need to specify the USB in the parameters to duplicity?

By default everything in the backup is restored. If you want to select only a particular file or director, use the --file-to-restore option.

--
Nate Eldredge
address@hidden