Re: [Duplicity-talk] boto vs boto3 backend

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] boto vs boto3 backend
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 21:16:06 +0200

On 12.07.2020 00:05, ml--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using duplicity 0.8.14 with the s3 backend to write to a Scaleway C14
> Glacier storage (similar to Amazon S3 Glacier). Scaleway provides an
> s3-compatible API and this is actually working very well.
>
> When using boto (with a target url of s3://s3.fr-par.scw.cloud/my-bucket)
> this works very well. But I can't get it to work with a boto3 backend. As I
> understand it boto is outdated and boto3 should be used if possible.
>
> I tried it with boto3+s3://s3.fr-par.scw.cloud/my-bucket which leads to:
>
>   botocore.exceptions.ClientError: An error occurred (403) when calling the
> HeadBucket operation: Forbidden
>
> I also tried with boto3+s3://my-bucket.s3.fr-par.scw.cloud as I read that
> only that subdomain bucket addressing would be supported by boto3, but I
> actually don't know if that would work out-of-the-box or needs to be
> explicitly supported by Scaleway. It leads to exactly the same error as
> above.
>
> What I also don't understand is the example for boto3 in the duplicity
> manual stating to use
>
>   boto3+s3://bucket_name[/prefix]
>
> There is no host specified in that URL. How am I supposed to specify the
> host of my provider?

you do _not_ specify a host for amazon's S3. amazon does that for you. you can
configure a preference to your region though.

> So, what is the actual problem here? What can be the reason that boto
> works, but boto3 doesn't?
>
> Is boto somehow deprecated? Or will it be supported "forever"?

yes, https://github.com/boto/boto is not maintained anymore and they suggest to
use boto3 it's successor.

> Is boto3 Amazon-only or should it work with third-party providers providing
> an s3-compatible API?

it should. the duplicity boto3 backend might just not implement right now. go
ahead and implement it or post a bounty if you are inclined to.

..ede/duply.net