Re: [Duplicity-talk] detect if duplicity is snap packaged

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] detect if duplicity is snap packaged
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 10:32:44 -0600

Hi ede,

I do not know either.  I suspect that living in /snap/bin/duplicity as a link to /usr/bin/snap may be the only indicator.

It's possible that there are environment vars active when under snap.  It's hard to tell.

As for the snap itself,
If you absolutely must parse the command line, duplicity should reside at /snap/duplicity/current/bin/ along with python and python3 for the snap.  Snap runs first to set up a virtual env around that python3.  Messing with that could cause some real twitchy bugs that I would hate to chase.

BTW, this is how duplicity snaps run under Ubuntu 16.04.  If it weren't for Python 3 under snaps we'd be out of luck.

...Ken