Re: [Duplicity-talk] Concept and how to combine incremental and full bac

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Concept and how to combine incremental and full backups to save space
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 10:21:56 -0400

Yes, you can use the " --full-if-older-than” option to automatically initiate a
new full back up.  You can limit the storage to only keeping 1 full backup with
the "remove-all-but-n-full 1” command.

HOWEVER, it is logically impossible to do a second full backup if there isn’t
space.  The only other method is removing the old backup first and then doing a
new backup.  But if that new backup fails for any reason you are SOL so it
isn’t a good idea.  For security of your backups you should have enough room
for two full backups and a bunch of incremental.

As a suggestion, using an offsite commercial service can give you that
flexibility without too much cost.  I use Wasabi and pay about $4/month/TB.  I
have no interest in the Wasabi company other than a customer.  Once I set up
the buckets and the S3 connection it has pretty much run on its own.  I do a
full backup every 30 days and nightly incremental.

-Scott