Re: [Duplicity-talk] installing different versions locally

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] installing different versions locally
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 10:52:05 -0500

Hi ede,

Welcome to my life!

I don't recall having pip install requirement for us.  I know with pipx you have to install them separately.  The README agrees with you.  Very confusing.

All I know is that when Ub24 hits there are going to be a lot of issues.  venvs will be mandatory to install duplicity, except the ancient duplicity of choice for the repo.

pipx works back to Ub20 for current duplicities.

pip is only working on Ub22 and above for the current version.

If you are on an older system you need to update pip, setuptools, and wheel to install newer duplicities.  Not from the repo, but from 'sudo pip install -U ...'.

It appears that we hit a boundary in 2022 where the new packaging is needed and the packaging in older versions matches older packaging.

Going forward with backwards packaging for older, repo-only, systems is very problematic.  It's all a matrix of which packaging version you have and which duplicity.  In your case you may need to install older packaging to get older duplicities to install.  Gets confusing in a hurry.

...Thanks,
...Ken