Re: [Duplicity-talk] Performance issues w/ S3

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Performance issues w/ S3
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2024 13:21:46 +0200

On 12.07.2024 05:06, tink via Duplicity-talk wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 at 10:14, edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk
<duplicity-talk@nongnu.org <mailto:duplicity-talk@nongnu.org>> wrote:

    On 11.07.2024 23:56, tink via Duplicity-talk wrote:
     > Hi,

Hi Edgar,

     > I've been banging my head against this for a while. (duplicity 2.2.3)
     > I'm trying to backup a sizeable chunk of data to Wasabi S3 storage, and
using boto3+s3 with

    boto+s3:// was removed a while ago. you can simply use s3:// now

Tried that ... no change.

wasn't supposed to. just stated that the boto3 backend is used anyway.

     >     --volsize 200 \
     >     --s3-multipart-chunk-size 20 \
     >     --s3-multipart-max-procs 6 \

    does removing --s3-multipart-chunk-size, --s3-multipart-max-procs change
anything?

As with the above change - no difference.

     > am seeing horribly slow upload speeds (shuffling 400GB in 24 h, so
roughly 5 MB/s).

     > Using aws cli tools on the same server to the same bucket I get 80MB/s.
     > Looking at a tcpdump during both attempts the latter looks fine and
swift, the duplicity one is seeing the far end throttling me badly, every other
second it tells me to back off for 1.5 seconds (setting a win-size of 0 for that
period of time).

    maybe some boto3 issue? do you have the latest version?
https://pypi.orgo/project/boto3/ <https://pypi.org/project/boto3/>

Using the boto3 that comes packaged w/ the distro, 1.34.108, so somewhat behind
but not drastically ...

how do you know it's not a bug they fixed in between? worth a try.

sunny regards ..ede