dvdrtools-devel

[Dvd-devel] Problems with mkisofs running on huge directories

From: Dirk Gouders
Subject: [Dvd-devel] Problems with mkisofs running on huge directories
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 15:55:49 +0200

Hello,

I am using dvdrtools-0.1.2 and want to make backups of of some 200
user's home directories.  So, I wanted to use mkisofs to create an ISO
image and burn that image on a DVD-R.
The home directories contain 60737 files and 277 symbolic links.

When I invoked mkisofs like this

       mkisofs -R -o /home/export.iso /home/export

it simply crashed with a segmentation fault caused by mkisofs trying
to access beyond the array Rock's boundaries (hardcoded limit of 16384
chars).

I think, it would be more elegant if mkisofs not just tries to access
beyond array boundaries but detects such problems and tells the user
that it cannot create the ISO image.

Finally, if you have any suggestions on how to create an ISO image of
directories containing lot of files, I would be glad to receive it.

Dirk