dvdrtools-devel

[Dvd-devel] Can't record with BTC 1004 DVD+-RW drive and DVD-R discs

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: [Dvd-devel] Can't record with BTC 1004 DVD+-RW drive and DVD-R discs
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:04:43 -0800

I recently bought a cheapo ($80) Emprex DVD+-R DVD+-RW drive from Fry's.
After some research I found that it is actually a rebranded BTC 1004
drive. I verified that I have the latest released firmware (Rev 43).

I had a devil of time getting it to work mostly because it doesn't seem
to be working with dvdrecord. I had the same problem with
cdrecord-prodvd as well.

Eventually I gave up and tried growisofs and it worked immediately.

I am recording to DVD-R discs. It works fine under Windows and growisofs
so I guess there is something about this drive that dvdrecord isn't
handling.

I am willing to help out with debug traces, and coding if necessary (I
am an embedded firmware/C programmer)... I'd like to see this working
and prevent someone else having the trouble that I did recording with
this device. I'll need help though since I haven't done anything
lowlevel with IDE or CD/DVD drives before.

The version of dvdrecord I used is the current Debian unstable, v0.1.4

-- John R. Hogerhuis
   jhoger AT-NO-SPAM-DOT pobox DOT com