eev

Re: [eev] sudos in langhelp-0.9.0

From: rubikitch
Subject: Re: [eev] sudos in langhelp-0.9.0
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:15:03 +0900 (JST)

From: "Eduardo Ochs" <address@hidden>
Subject: [eev] sudos in langhelp-0.9.0
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:15:50 -0200

> > sudo ruby setup.rb
>
> Can I make a suggestion about langtool? Needing sudos and changing the
> global installation of emacs21 is scary... it would be nice if you
> could provide a (find-node "(make)Options Summary" "`-n'") version of
> the e-script, that would show which files would be changed, so that
> people could backup some directories if they were feeling paranoid...

= How to install langhelp

cd /tmp
# First install el4r to run EmacsRuby scripts.
ruby -ropen-uri -e
'URI("http://www.rubyist.net/~rubikitch/archive/el4r-1.0.2.tar.gz";).read.display'
 | tar xzf -
cd el4r-1.0.2
ruby setup.rb config
ruby setup.rb setup
ruby setup.rb install --no-harm
sudo ruby setup.rb install
# User configuration of el4r
# el4r-rctool has almost the same functionality as eev-rctool
# prepare, diff and install
ruby -S el4r-rctool -p
ruby -S el4r-rctool -d
ruby -S el4r-rctool -i
# download/setup langhelp
ruby -ropen-uri -e
'URI("http://www.rubyist.net/~rubikitch/archive/langhelp-0.9.3.tar.gz";).read.display'
 | tar xzvf -
cd langhelp-0.9.3
ruby setup.rb config
ruby setup.rb setup
ruby setup.rb install --no-harm
sudo ruby setup.rb install

The `setup.rb' has many options.

# (find-sh "ruby -C /tmp/el4r-1.0.2 setup.rb --help")

With no arguments, it configures, setups and install things.

  sudo ruby setup.rb

is equivalent to

  ruby setup.rb config
  ruby setup.rb setup
  sudo ruby setup.rb install

In this case, `ruby setup.rb setup' does nothing.

# (find-sh "ruby -C /tmp/el4r-1.0.2 setup.rb install --no-harm")
does the dry-run of installation.

Actually `sudo ruby setup.rb install' installs files to `/usr/local'.
There are no /etc files in the langhelp and el4r package.

> And by the way, there are still many people who don't try eev because
> it requires changes in rcfiles to work fully... making build processes
> that don't change anything global or precious is super-boring, but it
> widens our audience... :\

I like the `eev-rctool' idea.
It takes over user setting procedures.
It already has prepare, diff, install and uninstall features.
If the user does not like eev, he or she can revert rcfiles by one command!
So I do not understand why it is bad...

--
rubikitch
http://www.rubyist.net/~rubikitch/